I’ve talked a lot about scaling down at Christmas, so I’m looking for quality over quantity when it comes for gifts for the kids. This year I’ve been on the lookout for toys that will promote sustained play. I’m a fan of toys that involve kids in some sort of creative play. Here are some fun toys that have a DIY or build-it-yourself element that will keep kids occupied long after the unwrapping.
- PlanToys Road & Rail Transportation Play Set is a fun wooden play set that kids can set up themselves.
- Color Me Flowerz Bouquet Maker Super Set contains a number of craft supplies so kids can make their own flower creations.
- Star Wars Folded Flyers allows kids to create their own Star Wars aircraft.
- The Collage Printmaking Kit is just one of the many fun craft sets from Eye Cart Art.
- Fancy Nancy Sticky Mosaics Fancy Tiaras allows girls to create their own tiaras that they can later wear.
- A Monthly Craft Kit from Kiwi Crate is a great gift that delivers monthly craft sets centered around a theme.
- Wonder Glow Blocks have one pattern under normal light and another view in the dark, letting children use their imagination endlessly.
- With Gotcha Gadgets, kids follow simple instructions to wire a door alarm, motion sensor, light sensor, or push-button device; then program it with one of four funny sounds.
- Wearables Children’s Costumes offer construction play that transforms into role-play as children create, construct and wear their creations.
- Little Passports is a subscription service that inspires a love and understanding of the world as kids learns about a geography, history, culture, and language through interactive activities.
- The SmartLab Toys DJ Rock Dock will teach kids basic electronics through a fun construction experience while creating a speaker that really works.
- LEGO DUPLO Read and Build Sets allow young kids to create a character from a book out of Legos.
- Ridemakerz Spiderman Xtreme Customz Hero Kit allows kids to build and customize a car with snap-on parts including custom rims, engines, and sidepipes.
- Thomas & Friends: Take-n-Play The Great Quarry Climb is a portable play set that kids can set up on their own.
- The Ezy Roller Ultimate Riding Machine combines the control of a bike and the fun of a scooter. Kids use their body to propel themselves. It’s great for gross motor coordination.
- The Power Popper shoots soft foam balls and works so that the faster you pump the further they go.
- Grow-With-Me Inline Skates are great for all levels of learners. Beginners can walk in the skates with one wheel locked, and as confidence and ability increase, advance to unlocking the wheels.
- Kawasaki Tough Trike designed to withstand hard play for adventurous preschoolers, in designs that appeal to boys or girls.
- We love Shaun White, and were thrilled to learn his clothing line at Target branched into gear. The Shaun White Supply Co. Park Complete Skateboard is a great board for skating enthusiasts.
- With the Lazy Town Sing ‘N Jump Microphone & Jump Rope, kids can jump rope with music and phrases that play along with each jump.
- The Zing Toys Air Storm ZX Crossbow is armed with suction cup arrows and a built in quiver for target practice and all-around fun.
- The Raskullz Cutie Cat Helmet is a helmet my kids don’t mind wearing. They come in all sorts of animal designs, or with mohawks for older kids.
- Supra Boy’s High-Top Sneakers are good-quality shoes for tough boys, built to withstand the beating that comes with biking or skating.
- The Pongo Portable Ping Pong Game Set from Umbra turns any table into a ping-pong table quickly and easily.
- The Grow-to-Pro Pogo has an extra big base that helps beginners balance and gives them the confidence they need to stick with it.
- The Barbie Grow-with-Me 3-in-1 Skateboard features a traditional board, with a handle and innovative sliding wheels in the outward low position that makes the skateboard stable for little ones. As they advance the handle comes and the wheels can slide in.
- The Joovy Balance Bike is a perfect learning bike, with a lightweight frame that makes controlling the bike much easier for kids.
- Master Moves Mickey teaches children gross motor skills through instructional dance lessons.
- Kid-Tough Walkie Talkies are tough enough and easy enough to stand up to typical, rough preschooler use.
The Alex Toys Moody Monsters Memory Game helps kids put words to their feelings with a fun, interactive game.
If you have ever cracked up at the Talking Tom app, you will love this new plush toy, that similarly repeats what you say in his signature high-pitched voice.
My girls love this Little People Disney Princess Songs Palace – a great cooperative play castle with beloved Disney princesses in Little People sizes.
Boom Boom! Cards are a great way to inspire families to pay it forward. With this kit of cards, busy families are inspired to take a moment to buy a cup of coffee for a stranger, write a letter of thanks, pick up the tab, leave a generous tip and many more acts of kindness.
Little People Wheelies Loops ‘n Swoops Amusement Park is a fun activities for both genders.
This Peppa Pig Classroom Playset comes complete with desk and chair, a chalk-board, 8 of Peppa’s classmates and their teacher Ms Gazelle from the popular show.
Fisher-Price Servin’ Surprises Kitchen & Table is an interactive play center that brings kitchen and food role-play to life.
Some products were submitted to me for review prior to inclusion. All items included at my discretion.